J Rae and Sons was first established in 1883 in Eaglesfield, a small village near Annan, Scotland. Shown above is the original James Rae on the right, with his son William Rae to the left of him, at their original premises at Lochaber Cottage.

The company expanded quickly and, in 1902, sons Orlando Rae and George Rae relocated to larger premises on Lady Street in Annan. Orlando is in the bowler hat in the picture above; George is on the far right.

Above: Working as a family in Carruthers Churchyard. L-R: William, Orlando and George.

James Rae died in 1920 and was buried in Middlebie Cemetery. The memorial above was made from Yorkshire stone by his three sons in memory of their parents.

Today, the company continues to flourish, with Peter Rae, the great grandson of James, behind the wheel.